Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Pro-Lifers In Their Own Words #2: Maria Slykerman

Maria Slykerman is head of Campaign Life Coalition Manitoba.


Here is her story:

Me as a “Pro-lifer”

As a child growing up in the Netherlands after the second world war, I vividly recall the horror stories of the Nazi concentration camps which came trickling into our newly liberated country. As far as I could see, the world had gone mad. How could people do such things to fellow human beings?

In 1958 I boarded a ship along with my parents and 6 younger siblings. We were in search of a better life in Canada. As luck or God would have it, my father invited home for dinner a charming young man from our home country – a man who was feeling a little homesick. Niel and I were soon married and the years flew by as we raised our four children.

On January 28, 1988 – otherwise known as "Black Thursday" - the Supreme Court of Canada struck down the abortion law which had been in effect since 1969, as unconstitutional. Canada became the only country in the western world to offer absolutely no protection for its unborn citizens, and abortion on demand virtually became a reality. “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing,” was one of Niel’s favourite quotes. We knew it was a call to action. After all, if people could only see the pictures of babies in garbage bags, we could stop the killing in no time – or so we thought. Little did we know we would still be fighting this battle twenty years later.

We began helping our hero and fellow pro-lifer Joseph Borowski with his demonstrations at the Morgentaler clinic for one hour a week and initiated a pro-life group in our parish. Then on April 22, 1989, we were arrested along with 42 others for a minor infraction of the law and charged with mischief. (Since Niel and I did everything together, we figured we might as well do jail time together for a good cause.) The infraction stemmed from the attempt to block the doors to the entrances of the Morgentaler clinic. Our purpose was to prevent abortions scheduled for that day from taking place, thus saving human lives. We were eventually acquitted.

Niel and I attended pro-life conferences in order to learn more about life issues. We became involved with "Show the Truth", where one stands at the curb with large pictures of aborted fetuses. Eventually Niel was invited to become President of Campaign Life Coalition (“CLC”) Manitoba. He prompted me to become a board member but I declined, saying that was as far as I was willing to go. I was willing to be at his side when he needed a job done, but I felt too shy to get involved in this organization. Niel retired early and dedicated his remaining four years to CLC.

In the year 2000 God called Niel home. Now who would take over his position? Jim Hughes, CLC’s National President, was invited to be a pallbearer at Niel’s funeral. He asked me to come to CLC’s next AGM. You don't argue with Jim. I took Niel’s place as President of CLC Manitoba after much prayer and reflection. It wasn’t easy. I had to learn how to cope without my husband of nearly 40 years, live on my own, pay my own bills, turn the computer on and get it to send an e-mail and I had to learn how to drive all over again. I have often sat behind the wheel and prayed that God would be my pilot and Niel my co-pilot. I am grateful that my four children have stood behind me all the way.

Maria Slykerman
October 21, 2008