Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Pro-Lifers In Their Own Words: #1 Vicki Gunn

Vicki Gunn is the Executive Director of the Christian Heritage Party of Canada. She also operates the CHP's Canadian Viewpoints message board. She was a federal candidate in the most recent elections, and I had the pleasure of working with her during the 2007 Ontario provincial election, during which she ran as a candidate in Glengarry-Prescott-Russell.



Here is her story:


My first awareness of abortion was when I started working in Toronto in the mid 1970s. I was stopped at Bloor and Yonge and asked to sign a petition for a Dr. Henry Morgentaler to be granted the right to perform abortions.

I asked the person what an abortion was and he horrified me by telling me it was a way to terminate a pregnancy. "You mean kill a baby"?!? I declined to sign. He asked me what if I got pregnant and I told him then I'd have a baby. He asked what if one of my friends got pregnant and I told him, they'd have a baby. I guess he gave up on the 'country bumpkin' in Toronto as I turned and walked away from him.

I remember well the posters along the wooden sidewalk protectors at construction sites. The wooden walls were covered with black and white posters with Morgentaler's picture. It never occurred to me that Canada would ever approve such a thing.

I signed the usual petitions over the years to fight abortion, attended a few Life Chains, and challenged anybody who spoke in favour of abortion but wasn't actively involved until 2004.

I had voted for the Christian Heritage Party at every election since its founding. I couldn't vote for a candidate who would not support a worldview which protected the innocent.

When I was asked to serve as candidate for the Christian Heritage Party, for the first time, I saw a possibility of actually making a difference. I was still so sure that Canadians were not a people who would do such a thing; it was just the Supreme Court decision striking down our abortion laws. Your average every day Canadian, would vote to protect the unborn.

After that first election, I continued to speak where I could on abortion, attend Life Chains and the March for Life on Parliament Hill in 2007 and 2008.

I cannot understand how any Canadian, and certainly any Christian, can vote for those who would support the slaughter of our Canadian babies. I don't know how they can sleep knowing that they have contributed, financially and through their vote, in the death of so many Canadians.

After each election, I find my resolve hardening to end this practice. I will continue to fight as long as I'm able and, God willing, we will see an end to this infanticide in Canada!

Vicki Gunn