Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Update on Stephen Taylor's ejection from Hill

I did some phoning around in regards to Stephen Taylor being kicked out of the Foyer for conducting interviews.

I talked to Heather at the Speaker's Office (phone 613-992-5042). She was very nice. She said that interviews may only be conducted by the Parliamentary Press Gallery. Since this was a question about security and clearance, she referred me to the Sergeant-at-arms office (613-995-7521).

The man that I spoke to at the Sergeant-at-Arms office said that the PPG has the exclusive right to all press coverage on the Hill. A media person may apply to the PPG for a temporary press pass for a fee.

I asked him by what law or rule or statute this happens. He said that he didn't know, that he'd been there since 1981, and it'd always been that way. He said I should ask the PPG.

I want to do more phoning, but I'm a stay-at-home mom, and I'm trying to start my day here.

So I'm hoping that someone can maybe pursue this issue.

If I get a chance, I will update this. Someone should try contacting the PPG and see what they have to say. I want to know what is the formal basis for this arrangement. It could be this is an informal arrangement. Perhaps Stephen Taylor's civil rights were violated? I have to find out.


_________________________
Visit Opinions Canada
a political blogs aggregator
_________________________