Thursday, September 21, 2006

Status of Women issue raised during Question Period

The Status of Women issue took up a significant amount of time during Question Period. Now, I couldn't listen to it very closely, as I was taking care of my toddler at the same time.

What I did see from Minister Bev Oda was encouraging and very smart. Ms. Oda's point with respect to the funding of Status of Women is that she wants to see efficiency from the funds. Good point. She said that under the Liberal government, SOW addressed some of the issues the Parliamentary Status of Women Committee meeting has addressed-- such as human trafficking and matrimonial rights for Aboriginal Women-- but that the last government didn't make much progress.

Belinda Stronach had a lot of nerve attacking REAL Women during Question Period-- as if women who are not feminists have no right to any representation. Of course she gave the usual spiel, asking Minister Oda "Who does the government listen to [REAL Women]?" (or something like that).

And Bev Oda replied: "We listen to everybody, mothers of children, families, community groups."

Bev Oda gets a big thumbs up. She went to bat for non-feminists. I note that Bev Oda, by reputation, is not a so-con. Basing myself on the Lifesite election evaluation, I have her listed as favouring legalized abortion in my file.

There have been a few reports about this issue in the papers. Here's one from the Toronto Star.

I don't think it's the whole agency is at stake. I'd be very surprised if that were the case. I suspect there may be changes to the Women's program-- the program that funds the feminist projects. Bev Oda declared in the House that SOW doesn't fund operating costs (a decision made by the Liberal Government under Paul Martin!) but only project costs. SOW is not responsible as to whether a group can operate financially.

I will try to read more when I get the Hansard and other parliamentary documents.




Check out the Big Blue Wave Message Board