Wednesday, August 23, 2006

6 month old fetus aborted because of harelip

Abortion of harelip foetus condemned
By Kang Yi (chinadaily.com.cn)
Updated: 2006-08-23 16:11

A woman tagged "Bird Loving Fish 521" who posted a diary of her abortion online has been strongly condemned by netizens for terminating the six-month pregnancy, according to a report from the Information Times.


Harelip, also known as cleft palate, is a birth defect that occurs when the tissues form the upper lip do not join in the middle. [Information Times]
After consulting with her husband and parents, Fish decided to have an abortion after discovering through an ultra sound that the fetus had a harelip.

Fish has faced many hard questions from netizens, with some asking the difference between a murderer and a heartless mother.

"I am totally and utterly distressed at the thought of my baby mumbling and stuttering the way my niece does who also has a harelip. I cannot find a way out," Fish wrote in her first post on the web, July 11.

"It was the first time I had ever seen the lovely creature who has accompanied me for six months as I lay on a hospital bed for a check up. He is so cute. Sometimes he stretches, sometimes he gapes, and sometimes he sucks his little fingers. However it makes me shiver to see a cleft, ranging from 3 to 7 millimeters in his upper lip," she wrote the next day.

"I surfed online for a cure but my niece's suffering and humiliation linger in my mind. When I stopped crying, I called my husband, parents, brother and friends. To my surprise, they also thought I should have an abortion. Finally I made up my mind to give him up," she wrote.



Read More

Positively sick. But this would be legal in Canada.





Check out the Big Blue Wave Message Board